What to bring

In order to receive assistance you must apply in person. If for some special reason that is not possible, an application may be taken over the phone. 

When you apply, you will be asked to give the caseworker whatever information is necessary to determine if you are eligible. You should bring:

  • Identification and Social Security cards of all household members
  • DHHS benefit letter
  • Check stubs, AFDC/TANF statements, or other proof of household income
  • Your most recent bills and receipts for you rent or mortgage, heating fuel, electricity, food, medical expenses
  • Canceled checks, receipts, or other documents that show how you have spent any income you received during the past 30 days (repeat applicants)
  • Bank statement for the past 30 days with current balance
  • Names and address of your landlord for verification
  • A doctor’s statement if you are ill, disabled, or not able to work
Remember, it is up to you to show that you are eligible for general assistance. If you do not bring in all the information that has been asked for, the caseworker may have to deny your request for assistance until you provide the needed information.